REG has launched a competition to bid for part of £2,500 to help environmental projects. Groups are inviting to compete for up to £1,000 per project with a closing date of Sunday 30 September 2018. The winners to be announced at REG’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) in November 2018.
Projects must benefit the environment in the Rother and Hastings area (meaning areas covered by Rother District Council and Hastings Borough Council).
In this context environment covers any of the following:
- Nature and wildlife conservation, including green spaces
- Energy saving and low-carbon energy generation
- Reduction in waste and promotion of recycling and re-use
- Promotion of local and ethically-sourced food supplies
- Water saving, flood prevention, and reduction of pollution
- Sustainable transport (e.g. cycling, walking, public transport).
This is the second time that REG has held a competition for project funding. The last time was in 2013 when £4000 was available. This was donated by the producers of the film ‘Monuments Men’ that was partly filmed in Rye and Camber. While this competition was limited to Rye and the surrounding parishes it attracted a great deal of interest. Five projects received funding including start-up funding for Rye Community Garden; new signage for the Toot Rock Reserve in Pett; a contribution for new cycle racks in Rye; and start-up funding for a community energy project.